Prosciutto wrapped fresh melon
- 10 ozs Fresh, in-season Melon (cantaloupe, watermelon, honeydew). Locally sourced, if available
- 4 ozs Fine prosciutto, thin sliced / shaved
- 1 oz Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- toothpicks, assorted
This appetizer is particularly awesome when you are able to locally source fresh, in-season melons. Our favorite is either cantaloupe or watermelon, though honeydew melon works as well. Get the melons when they are fully ripe, so their flavor and juiciness is at their peak!
- Cut the fresh melon into small bite-sized cubes. These should not be too large, as these are each intended to be eaten in a single bite. Perhaps a half-inch on the side is best. Be sure the melon is cool (but not cold!), to retain the fresh flavors and juiciness.
- Take the prosciutto and cut it into strips which are the same width as your cubed melon. These should be long enough to wrap all the way around each melon cube. The procuitto flavors come out best when served at room temperatures, so please let it warm up a bit if you've kept it in the fridge.
- Wrap the procuitto strip around a melon cube and secure it in place with a toothpick, set aside on the serving dish. Repeat steps 2 and 3, until all of the melon cubes are wrapped.
- Lightly sprinkle a limited amount of olive oil over the melon cubes. This should be done sparingly as the goal is to just introduce the hint of olive oil to the procuitto and melon, it should not be pooling on the plate or otherwise coating.
- That is all - it is ready to serve and enjoy!
This appetizer dish is particularly awesome when served with a full-body wine such as a Roussanne. They just seem meant for each other!