Marl Braised Beef
March 22, 2022
This hearty beef dish, created by Kuhlman Cellars own, Ms. Gil, was served at our February 2022 Vina Vita Release event to rave reviews. This is a wonderful dish to prepare and let cook throughout the day prior. Pair it with a robust Kuhlman Cellars red wine.
- 1 1/4 lbs Beef Stew Meat
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter
- 1 Large yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp Course Black Pepper
- 2 tbsps Beef Bouillon base
- 2 cups Kuhlman Cellars Red Wine
- 1 tbsp Chopped Garlic
- 4 Bay Leaves
- 3 Sprigs, fresh Thyme
- 1 cup Diced Carrots
- 2 lbs diced Yukon Gold or White potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups Water
Plan on about 2-3 hours to prepare this incedible dish. Letting it slowly braise in the oven is the secret to achieving wonderfully tender beef and a depth of flavor concentration.
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Cut stew meat into 1 inch pieces
- In a dutch oven melt butter then add onions, pepper and beef base. Allow onion to start to soften
- Add the cubed beef pieces
- Stir mixture until it begins to brown, about 4 minutes, then add I cup of Kuhlman Cellars red wine to deglaze the pan
- Add thyme and bay leaf
- Transfer to a 350 oven and continue cooking for about 30 minutes until the liquid is reduced by 75%
- Deglaze again with the remaining wine and chopped garlic
- Add carrots, potatoes and water, stir to ensure everything is well mixed
- Cook for 45 minutes or until vegetables are soft and mixture begins to thicken
- Meat should be melt in you mouth tender
Enjoy alone or over rice or noodles. Alternatively, enjoy with cornbread for a wonderful combination!
This dish was created exclusively for Kuhlman Cellars by our very own Ms. Gil.